Thursday, September 30, 2010

AWANA


Since the kids are not in preschool this year, I felt like I needed to do a "First Day of School" photo, so here's one from AWANA. We just joined the program at a nearby church. Josh is in Cubbies, ages 3-4, and Rachel is in Puggles, age 2. In case you don't know what this is, the goal and purpose of AWANA is "to reach boys and girls with the gospel of Christ and to train them to serve Him." In other words, hide God's word in their hearts by scripture memorization, activities, and more. The program has a lot to offer (though I don't agree with everything in it), but I'm thankful they are getting a school feel from it as well as all the other good stuff.

Jason and I have really enjoyed the conversations we've had with Josh such as:

Who made you? -God.
What else did God make? -God made all things.
Why did God make you and all things? -for His own glory.

We've reviewed the first few catechisms with him and he knows them and understands them. AWANA has provided us with a handbook for Josh that includes stories, scriptures, and leading questions for him to understand more. Rachel receives a brochure each week about what she's studying too. Right now it is God's creation and knowing that God created all things. It is such a JOY to see that they recognize this simple fact in everyday life.

The only downfall is that I teach a guitar class on Wednesdays afternoons and then have to book it to AWANA. So, we eat dinner in the car. Not best scenario, but if we can survive by only doing this once a week, then I think we'll be all right : )

1 comment:

Susanna Rose said...

What a great way to get them involved in something! There is nothing better then them learning the shorter catechism! Might I suggest Judy Roger's music to you? Her album "WHy Can't I See God" puts much of the catechism to music and is very tastefully done! I/our kids love her music!!!

oh, and Rachel looks so much older! Man!