Monday, June 9, 2008

We're off to have a baby!


First, I have to say that my opinion of induction has changed. Wow- this labor and delivery was fast. I couldn't believe it! For those of you interested in the details, read on; otherwise, just enjoy the pictures.

I was admitted to the hospital around 11:00am. I received IV fluids around 12:15pm soon after passing out. I have great veins, but evidently the nurse couldn't get my blood. I ended up passing out on the second try. Then the third time worked. I received pitocin, a man-made hormone that induces labor, at 1:30pm and began minor contractions in the next hour. At this point I had dilated 4 cm and was still 75% effaced. At 3:00pm my doctor came in and broke my water. Oh, what fun- warm fluid slowly gushing out of me. This definitely got things going.

In the next hour, I experienced more frequent and severe contractions to the point where I was getting angry at Jason as he was coaching me on my breathing. For some reason, I couldn't stand for him to use the word "deep" or "big" when describing a breath. Instead, we focused on the words "breath in through your nose and out through your mouth." Soon after this, the coaching had to change to simply counting as the contractions were a lot worse, "one, two, t h r e e" and so on. This is when I requested for the anesthesiologist to come knowing that it would take as long as 30 minutes before he could make it. Oh boy, the next few minutes were the hardest.

The anesthesiologist arrived, I received an epidural, and the medicine slowly seeped in. I could still feel the contractions and was beginning to feel the need to push (I don't remember that with Josh, probably because I had had the epidural a lot longer with him). Next, the nurse called for my doctor, he arrived at about 4:15pm and I had dilated to 9.5 cms. At this point, I was concerned with who was going to take a picture of Rachel, so Jason went and got the camera as Dr. D is saying "push. Alright, one more time." And that's it. She was born at 4:27pm. I couldn't believe it!







































5 comments:

bethany said...

Thanks for sharing your story! Josh looks like the proud big brother! How sweet.

Susanna Rose said...

I love all these pictures and you guys make such a cute family! Also, fun to see a few pictures of Kim with her belly...it was so small!:)

Jana said...

Congrats you guys! She is beautiful!

Kate said...

I'm so glad everything went so smoothly! That is wonderful! All your pictures are really great too. I love that Josh is already interacting with is little sister! Hope we get to meet Rachel soon.

Anonymous said...

Jason & Kim - Many congrats to you both. Can't wait to meet Rachel. You are so blessed to have such a beautiful family! -Jenn & Russ